Skip to content
Transit Visa Information UK

UK Transit Visa - Pass through the UK

Visa to pass through the UK in transit. You might need a visa to pass through the UK in transit (on your way to another country).

Content Source – Gov.UK – Contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0. 

Check if you need one before you apply.

To get a transit visa you must prove that:

  • you’ll be in transit to another country, with enough funds and the intention to travel on
  • you can enter that country
  • the only purpose of your visit to the UK is transit

You do not need a transit visa if you:

  • have an EU Settlement Scheme family permit
  • have a Home Office travel document, for example you’re a refugee or stateless person
  • have a Standard Visitor visa
  • have a Marriage Visitor visa

Types of transit visa

The visa you need depends on whether you’re going through UK border control when you arrive in the UK.

Your airline can tell you if you’ll go through border control.

You’re not going through UK border control

Apply for a Direct Airside Transit visa (DATV) if you’ll be changing flights in the UK and will not be going through UK border control.

You’re going through UK border control

Apply for a Visitor in Transit visa if you’ll be going through UK border control but leaving the UK within 48 hours.

You’ll need to apply for a Standard Visitor visa if:

  • you need to stay longer in the UK
  • you can prove you need to frequently pass through the UK over a longer period


  • Direct Airside Transit visa (DATV) - £35
  • Visitor in Transit visa - £64

The cost may vary slightly depending on which country you’re in.

Direct Airside Transit visa

You might need a Direct Airside Transit visa (DATV) if you:

  • will be changing flights in the UK on your way to another country
  • will not go through UK border control

You may not have to apply for a visa. What you need to do depends on your nationality and whether you need to enter the UK. Check if you need to apply for a visa.

You do not need one if you have a valid:

  • EU Settlement Scheme family permit
  • Home Office travel document, for example you’re a refugee or stateless person
  • Standard Visitor visa
  • Marriage Visitor visa

You must apply for another type of visitor visa if you’re travelling to or from Ireland, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man.

Documents you need

To apply for a DATV, you must have a current passport or other valid travel document.

You need to provide evidence that you’re allowed to enter the country you’re travelling to, such as a:

  • residence permit
  • green card
  • valid visa

If you’re not a resident or national of the country you’re travelling to, you may need to explain why you’re going there. You may need to provide details of where you’re staying.

You must also provide evidence that your onward journey is booked or confirmed, such as:

  • a flight booking email
  • printed tickets
  • confirmation from a travel agent

Bring your visa and documents with you when you travel through the UK.


You must apply online for a Direct Airside Transit visa.

You’ll need to have your fingerprints and photograph (known as ‘biometric information’) taken at a visa application centre as part of your application.

You may be able to get your visa faster or other services depending on what country you’re in - check with your visa application centre.


The information contained on this page is for general information purposes only. The information is provided by HeathrowShuttle® and while we endeavour to keep the information up to date and correct, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the website or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained on the website for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.

In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.

Through this website you are able to link to other websites which are not under the control of HeathrowShuttle®. We have no control over the nature, content and availability of those sites. The inclusion of any links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorse the views expressed within them.

Previous article Heathrow Airport Chauffeur Services
Next article Visit the UK as a Business Visitor